SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING JOBS IN INDIA
The demand for social media marketing jobs in India has seen a steep rise as India is believed to
become the world’s largest consumer of mobile data in the near future. Currently, India ranks
second after China in terms of internet users.From a brand’s point of view, social media
platforms have become avenues where a brand’s potential customers hang out. In order to be able
to reach out to these potential customers, most brands are now building in-house teams to create
brand awareness and to scale up their businesses. Hence the rise in social media jobs in India.
We have covered some basic information in this article which will give you an insight into pursuing a
career in social media and how you can go about looking for a job in social media marketing in India.
We have covered some basic information in this article which will give you an insight into pursuing a career in social media and how you can go about looking for a job in social media marketing in India.
- Social Media Marketing Job Description
- How Can You Become A Social Media Manager -Skills required to become a social media manager
- Social Media Careers (job Profiles) & Salary
- How to get a job in social media?
- Social Media Learning resources
- Social Media Certifications
- The future of Social media jobs in India
1)SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING JOB DESCRIPTION
Social media strategies are created with different goals in mind -branding, engagement, lead generation to name a few. A social media manager comes up with a strategy to go about achieving this goal in the best possible way. What online platforms to use, what type of influencers need to be approached, theme for the creatives etc. all form a part of the social media strategy.
- Assist in implementing SEO goals related to link building.
- Build and manage a loyal brand audience and communities on social media platforms.
- Engage with potential clients on social media.
- Develop innovative content that combines relevant SEO keywords and is engaging in nature- Inbound Marketing
- Online reputation management –social listening
- Social media optimization
- Create and manage paid advertisement campaigns on social media platforms
- Evaluate and monitor progress of the brand’s impact on social media.
- Work closely with other team members –the content writer, graphic designer, PR & marketing department, analyst, SEO professional to achieve organizational goals.
Here are the skills that you will require to become a social media manager and perform all the above duties you just read about with confidence:
2) How can you become a good social media marketing manager- Skills required to become a social media manager:
- On the academic side, most social media marketing professionals are graduates in communications and media management or have done professional courses in digital marketing.
- More importantly, should have a passion for social media. Create your own blog or social media page, grow it and engage with your followers. This is the best way to acquire social media skills.
- You also have to acquire a deep understanding of social media platforms like blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest etc. and how their algorithms function to be able to come up with the most effective social media strategy. Just like SEO, the algorithms of social media platforms keep getting updated frequently.
- Social media is a very dynamic platform as it is controlled by user behaviour. You have to closely understand the user and communicate with them accordingly. This is where having empathy is a bonus.
- Develop great communication skills, an eye for design, basic knowledge of content & copywriting and some sales knowledge and you will do great.
3) Social Media Careers (job Profiles) & Salary
There are many social media careers you can choose from.
The most popular social media job profiles with their approximate salary packages are as below:
Depending on your industry experience and skill set, you can always negotiate your salary package.
Alternatively, you can also become a freelance social media consultant.
Freelance social media consultants work on specific social media requirements of the brand and are very similar to social media managers. The difference is they work on a project to project basis and are compensated accordingly.
A lot of start-ups cannot afford to hire full-time employees for social media marketing so they outsource it to either an agency or a freelance social media consultant.
Based on the scope of work and your industry experience you can decide the professional fees you want to charge.
4)How to get a job in social media
There are a lot of sites you can apply at to get a job in social media:
Social Samosa , naukri.com, indeed.com, timesjobs.com are some famous online job portals where you can register and keep applying for social media jobs.
If you have done your social media management course from a digital marketing institute, they should be able to help you out with placements as a lot of good digital marketing agencies and companies recruit their team directly from the institutes.
5) Social Media Learning resources
(A) If you have no background in digital marketing, enrolling in a course to learn the basics of digital marketing can be a great way to begin.
This will help you see the bigger picture and come up with a social media strategy that best suits
B) If you wish to study by yourself, there are some great resources available online:
(a) Hootsuite & Hubspot offer a platform for conveniently managing your company’s social media strategies and campaigns. They also have blogs which are such a great resource for learning. You will find articles on the best social media tools you can use, case studies, insights on social media platforms, online reputation management etc.
Access the Hootsuite blog here: Select the resources section on the Hubspot site here
(c)Jeff Bullas is one of the oldest and most prominent social media influencers that there is. He embarked on a journey in social media with an investment of $10 and today he has more than 600,000 followers. Fortunately, Jeff shares his knowledge with all of us so benefit from; which can be accessed here (hyperlink to Jeffbullas.com)
(d)Some more sites with great resources for learning social media:
Alltop.com – considered to be a bible for social media
6)Social Media Certifications
At the end of the day, it is the results you have achieved that matter the most but there are also some social media certifications you can acquire to gain an advantage over your peers when applying for a job as a social media manager.
- Social Media Marketing with Facebook Blueprint -This is a course you can take to learn how to take complete advantage of Facebook ads to benefit your company/business or client.
- Hootsuite Academy– Offer a variety of social media marketing certifications that you can opt for. While the course material is freely accessible, there is a charge for writing the exam & certifications
- Hubspot– Hubspot offers a wide range of social media courses on inbound marketing, email marketing, content marketing and many other topics. Their course material is also free but certifications and exams need to be paid for.
Besides these, there are Twitter Flight School ,Pinterest Propel
7)The future of Social media jobs in India
If you have decided to pursue a career in social media and are looking for social media marketing jobs in India, it could prove to be a great career choice for you as the industry is still in its young growth phase. The demand for social media managers is more than the supply.
Social media marketing is what brings a brand closest to its consumers in the virtual world and this is why a social media manager is one of the most sought-after professionals today. Over a period of time or say by the year 2020, social media will evolve into a more sophisticated platform but will never disappear. In fact, social media platforms will give search engines some serious competition as the consumer has begun to search on social media platforms. That ensures your services will always be in demand.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!