Digital Marketing Domain: The Job Scenario for Fresher’s – Updated on 7th January 2020
For freshers looking for a lucrative career option today in this digital era, Digital Marketing is an excellent option that offers numerous career opportunities. The digital transformation happening in every sphere has brought in considerable changes in job opportunities. With the number of internet users increasing day by day with the majority of today’s population accessing the internet from smartphones every few minutes or hours, digital marketing has become a must-have for every company or business.
In this scenario, every organization is on the lookout for talented digital marketing professionals who has the flair and skills to use the digital channels to run effective digital marketing campaigns and come up with digital marketing strategies to attract their target audience. In fact, the demand for digital marketing professionals is really high that there is a significant talent gap in the industry for skilled digital marketers to meet the requirements. Reports say there will be around 1,80,000 digital marketing job opportunities by 2020. This poses a good opportunity for freshers who are interested in pursuing a career in the field. With the right skills and a marketing mindset, there are good chances for freshers to land on very promising roles in companies of different sizes- small start-ups to big multinational giants. There are also many opportunities for digital marketing professionals in digital marketing agencies budding up across providing digital marketing services to businesses. Interestingly it is not just businesses that implement digital marketing, even political leaders and celebrities rely on digital marketing to improve their influence and reach out to more people. Campaigns by leaders like Narendra Modi and Donald Trump are the best examples of using digital marketing in politics.
Skills Needed for Digital Marketing Jobs
The digital marketing domain has diverse job profiles that require a combination of skills- technical knowledge and soft skills with a lot of creativity. With the penetration of machine learning and AI in digital marketing domain, in the form of search algorithms using machine learning or tools incorporated with AI like chatbots, today’s digital marketing professionals should know how these can be leveraged to make their campaigns and marketing strategies successful. It is thus important that digital marketing professionals should stay updated with the latest technologies to make use of them to the most and have a successful career.
Here is a summary of the must-have skills for a digital marketing professional:
Creativity: Creativity is one of the most important skills that digital marketing professionals should have to come up with creative campaigns or content that should make your brand or client stand out in the industry amidst the competition.
Communication skills: Most of the digital marketing profile requires candidates who have good communication skills to communicate effectively the ideas to the target audience.
Experimentation and research mindset: When it comes to marketing, there is no one size fits all approach or fixed rules to be successful. It requires a lot of experimentation and research to find the best strategies and figure out what works and what does not.
Technical Knowledge: Candidates who want to become successful in digital marketing should be well aware of the latest technologies and tools for successful online marketing.
Digital Marketing Job Profiles
The digital marketing domain offers diverse job profiles from which you could select depending on your interests and passion. There are roles that focus more on the technical side like web development, web analytics, etc as well as focus more on creativity like content creation, designing, etc. However, most of the profiles require you to have a mix of technical knowledge and creativity to perform day to day tasks more effectively. Here is a list of the popular job profiles in the digital marketing domain that you could choose from.
- SEO Specialists- Search Engine Optimization has become one of the most important elements in the digital marketing domain. SEO is all about driving traffic to web pages organically. The main task of SEO specialists is to ensure that the business web page appears at the top in the search engine results page for keywords related to the business.
- SEM/PPC Marketer- A search engine marketer or Pay Per Click marketer deals with driving the company’s pay per click ad campaigns and optimize them in order to drive maximum traffic to business websites and improve conversions.
- Digital Marketing Executive- A digital marketing executive is responsible for managing a business’s online presence and engaging customers with the brand in the digital space including the various online platforms and websites.
- Content creation/marketing and management- Content marketing is a critical element in the digital marketing strategies of businesses. It deals with all the content for different digital medium channels and can play a key role in attracting the target audience, lead generation and improving brand recognition and reach. The content could range from website content, blogs, whitepapers, social media posts, email campaigns, online brochures and any other content generated for online users.
- Web Copywriter- Web copywriter is responsible for writing the web copy content to attract website visitors.
- Social media manager- A social media manager usually takes care of ensuring the brand’s social media presence by making regular social media posts, responding to posts, and running successful social media campaigns across social media platforms to reach the maximum target audience.
- Email marketing manager- Emails still are an effective means of communication that can ensure a more personalized experience to the target audience. Hence email marketing managers are required to carry out email activities of any organization and run email campaigns that are concise, delivered timely to the right people, and catering to the customer needs.
- Web Analytics- All digital marketing activities can be fine-tuned only if it is analyzed and monitored. That’s the role of web analytics professional. Analyzing and evaluating the website traffic, user engagement, number of leads and conversions, etc. Web analytics is crucial to gain insights from the observations and develop strategies based on the findings.
- Web/UX designer- Web designers and UX designers specialize in designing websites and ensuring the perfect user experience to customers or website visitors.
Digital Marketing Job prospects
As we have already seen, every organization needs digital marketing professionals. The increase in the number of startups in recent years has caused a significant increase in opportunities for digital marketing professionals as they are actively hiring talented resources to build their brands’ online presence. eCommerce giants like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra and smaller eCommerce businesses always looking for top-notch talent in the domain. The screenshot below shows the results for Digital Marketing Jobs search in India in naukri.com.
There are 8906 results displayed for the past 30 days all around India in Dec 2019.
If you look at the top companies, multinational companies like Accenture, Cognizant, Sapient, etc has a lot of opportunities for digital marketing professionals who have the relevant skill sets. Freshers are offered a fair package initially and it can go up with time and experience.
Digital marketing domain also offers candidates a lot of freedom and flexibility by opting for freelance jobs or becoming an entrepreneur by starting your own agency. It lets you work even from the comforts of your home without having to go for the usual 9 to 6 office work. Digital marketers are in huge demand and organizations are really willing to pay them well for quality work and results.
How to start your Digital Marketing Career?
To start a digital marketing career all you need is an interest in the domain and the essential soft skills. There are no specific qualification requirements for digital marketing. A guy with an arts background or science or technology background may equally excel in the domain. Even if you are not strong on the technical side, you can pick up many things with some effort by taking up a digital marketing course or certifications. There are several digital marketing certifications like HubSpot digital marketing certifications and Google certifications that can help build your resume. An internship also is an excellent way to get on-job training and can help your resume stand out while applying for jobs.